Subscribe Now:Sell Yr Soul

6.09.2010

Songs of the Dust: December 2, 2007


drekka
OS
lather.

December 2, 2007
The Waldron Firebay
Bloomington, IN
Recorded by Ben Myers

Stream/Download

Sweet show.  I opened up with snares a blaring placed spectacularly in front of the huge Peavey cabinet.  The focus was on resonating the snare and then the entire room.  Did I mention I also like dynamic changes?  OS was fairly subdued for the evening, a slow study on guitar strings with a sliding pitch mass much like some of Ligeti's works.  I think Hien was in the group back then, and I was always slightly mystified in terms of what sound he produced.  I'm pretty positive the high frequencies which sound like feedback are him.  They do a nice rolling thundercloud interpretation towards the end.  drekka pulled out the piano kept in the Firebay and put a mic in it through his trademarked drekka pedal, also playing a recording done previously.  His performance was a slow reflection on David Bowie's Subterraneans (off Low) which I am not familiar with even after 2.5 years.  I found they have it at MCPL so I'll be changing that.  If you like what you hear then you might be interested to know that you can purchase a remixed (with the prerecorded portion) Subterraneans 3" CD-R over at RC Legacy, home of the incredible Ben & Bruno.  If you missed A Hard History you should be sore at yourself.

No comments: