Subscribe Now:Sell Yr Soul

4.10.2010

March 15, 2009 Live at Rockit's Pizza


When We Might
Sgt Dunbar and the Hobo Banned
Dust From 1000 Yrs

March 15, 2009
Rockit's Pizza
Bloomington, IN
Recorded by Ben Myers



Stream/Download


Chester gracefully opened up this show, and someone was on stage (used loosely) with him but whether it was Josh or Jimmy I don't recall.  Either way the show sounds great, and it was of Atem's first shows to which he went as a child.  I haven't been taking him to shows lately, but make sure to keep music a part of his life.  If there were one which he could attend time-wise and enjoy sound pressure-wise then I'd love to take him out.  Like...When We Might shows in the park in the afternoon.

This show ranks with another Dusty Rockit's show I failed to record: Fred & Susie with Ugh God.  Sgt Dunbar wields marching band jazz with the style of one marching through New Orleans, salt crusted on their makeshift costumes...though I gotta say that singing saw is not exactly the best marching instrument. Regardless, this band will put an ass in your pants and a horn section in your hat or hair.  Supposedly one of the main songwriters lived in Charles Mingus' house (after Mingus had moved) when he was a kid and when through his garbage pile.  It certainly sounds like it.  Atem had to be outside for this, but he heard it just fine I am certain.

This Dust performance is slightly odd, I believe because it was after David and Dust parted.  At first I was typing "shortly after" but now I realize I'm mistaken.  Still, Jimmy seemed to cover the sonic space where David used to be, but in his wispy, winged way.  It takes a little drive out of the Dust when songs had a driving, throbbing bass line and lays you flat on your back in the summer, staring at clouds or stars.  And now I realize what feels so odd and gives the added dream gleam: Matt is not there.  No drums.  The band is simply Ben and Jimmy.  This is certainly a unique performance.

No comments: